things were not looking good. i spent some time going over things, trying to decide what i could do...
the answer was NOT MUCH. i'd gotten down again to the point i was barely breathing, dragging from one place to another....and smoking too damn much.
in order to find our dream i'd have to make some changes.....
i quit smoking(at last!) over a week ago.
the dream of the farm was the main reason. i cannot work if i cannot breathe (^.^)
and then there are the grandchildren.....
don't want them to remember me as an old woman with an oxygen tank!
so~ the thing to do was quit before i got to that point. already i am feeling better, breathing easier.
the farm....
mrD spent 3 days whacking back 15-20yrs of neglect & rampant overgrowth on the scuppernong vines.

this is the line where the grape vines are. can you see them? neither can we!
cutting down cedar & oak trees, chopping out massive cherokee rose bushes, honeysuckle & catbriers and getting them back to a manageable state. it looks like we have enough rooted vines to fill in those that had died & make another whole row!
i've got the seed flats & heat mats out. tomorrow i'll be starting seeds.
cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, leeks....
and next week in the garden (if this rain ever lets up) peas, onions, spinach, turnips. this is a week early according to the experts, but it just feels like its time.
i've ordered blackberry & black raspberry canes (25 each) and hope to order some fruit trees soon.
if nothing else we'll eat!






















6 comments:
Hi, Ria! (waving madly)
Youff here...I'm sure I have an account but I'm not sure how it will turn up, so: yes, it's me, Youff, loving your pics & encouraging you to BE WELL b/c we all love you, RiaDear.
Mr. D is going to have a better year, I just know it, although he may have to go farther afield for more lucrative work...this is just a hunch I have.
My job still sux, although after a very challenging night, my friend & coworker came over & drove me home. What happened was, I was working with one newbie (e.g. not-yet-trained) guy from 2-6 p.m., and another newbie from 6-close.
Well, the 6-close guy never showed. When he was 15 minutes late (& he'd always been 15-20 minutes early, before), I asked the kid whether he wanted overtime.
Resounding _YES!_
So I said, okay, we'll give him an hour, and then we call Management.
It was more than an hour, but the guy who didn't show will be terminated & the kid I'm apparently training will stay.
He's not a bad kid. He's just raw. And, erm, mathematically challenged, I think (he seems to have difficulty counting money), although we both did well by the end of the night, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.
Sorry for such a long comment, but: I miss you, Ria! And...it was rather a challenging night at work.
Off to bookmark your blog. Wow! SO glad you have your own!
wow, what a night! maybe you can help the new kid learn basic math? he sounds like a good kid, willing to learn & WORK....& so many just think they should receive a paycheck for gracing the establishment with their presence!
i'm sorry about no new post yesterday. prolly not today either. i've caught a cold or the flu or somedamnthing. came down with it saturday. low-grade fever & chills, feel like crap warmed over. so i'm back to bed.
hopefully i'll feel much better this afternoon.
i need to get my seeds started & garden beds raked & ready. i don't have time to be sick!
So sorry you don't feel well. Around here, it's still a bit early to start seeds (unless you have a greenhouse).
Here's what you do: plenty of chicken soup, a few really strong hot buttered rums or hot toddies, then to bed & sweat it out of your system. ;-)
Feel better. I hope you will be documenting your garden in pics as it grows!
O yes! i wanted to get an "after" picture of the grapevines, but i just didn't feel up to going outside, even though it was 62 today.
i had some chicken soup (we almost always have some in the freezer) & a hot bath followed by a long nap. i just had some more soup & will shortly have a small toddy & head towards my comfy bed.
btw- you're welcome to add here to your blogroll at GOS or wherever, & also to invite ppl to visit if you'd like. i'll be adding it as my 'homesite' at my normal blogs & hope some folks stop by & find it comfortable here.
i hope to start doing seeds here tomorrow. we have a small walk-in closet we've converted to a seed starting room, with shelves, lights, etc. just room enough to get some plants 'sets' started each spring.
spring fever has gotten to mrD too. he went & got onion sets & TOMATO seeds today! (we don't need to start tomatoes for another month!)
Ria, you are a joy. Sure hope the soup & toddy work!
About tomato starts: it depends on what kind of tomatoes you want, of course, but the last greenhouse I worked in employed a fair number of Cambodians, and they didn't buy seeds. Nor did they collect seeds. What they did was, buy cherry and/or grape tomatoes, cut them in half, and plant the halves in potting soil placed into seed flats. Of course, they started them about now IN the greenhouse (the owner is a doll & allowed it) then thinned the sprouts and replanted into regular flats and, when the plants were large enough & the temperature warm enough, planted them outside. I think they did their peppers pretty much the same way...but for the tomatoes, I'm quite sure: some of those were in houses I took care of.
Blogroll: I will have to check my profile(s). I know I have one at Kos & will add this (but probably not tonight: remind me again, lol!) but I'll have to check the others: I may not have even started blogrolls at the Soapblox sites I go to.
Heh, Now you have me wanting to start on my garden. Since I won't be able to for a few months you are going to have to give me lots of updates on your little sprouts once you get them started so I can get my gardening fix.
Post a Comment