Monday, January 25

testingtesting123

Hai, guys!

This is not a real blog post, it is an attempt to navigate something FAR more primitive than Scoop or soapblox. (No offense, Ria: you're doing great -- I am the dummy here. Software is SO 'R' Not Us!)

Hell, I don't even know what the instructions mean...but this is no surprise. Whenever I get a new cell phone, I never know what those instructions mean, either. I once bought an Italian pasta maker -- one of the old hand-cranked ones -- and the instructions were barely comprehensible...and they were STILL easier to read than anything written by a software techie.

I mean, at least I know what "albumen" is. html makes about as much sense as gyxxac. Y'know?

So, here goes. Flame me if you must...FSM knows I deserve it!

But I just had to try....

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Ria. I hope you don't mind TOO much.

Curiosity got the best of me & I went, Can I do this? thinking, of course, no, probably not.

& then it worked! Holy shit!

What in the world did I do wrong? Software codes NEVER work for me!

Again, hope you don't mind. You have my permission to delete this from your blog: not just my comments but the whole thing. I just still can't believe I made it work (& probably can't do it again, lol, sob).

RiaD said...

nah! it's okay youff!
that first 'welcome' post i did was much the same, only that was my 3rd or 4th attempt to get something to post!

no problem!

we'll just use this as todays post!

i fell back asleep after sending mrD off this AM...
we had a helluva storm last night!
tornado watches, HUGE rain (5+ inches!!) fierce winds... all that knocked out the power. called the power co. & they came looking... it was a a tree knocked down on our power line. (did you know those flashing lights look much like aliens landing?) it was after midnight before they got it fixed. & i fet so bad for them out in the wind & rain. you couldn't pay me enough to do that!

RiaD said...

an FYI for everyone:

on the new post place (i dunno how y'all get there- i have a 'dashboard')

there is TITLE (you know what to do here)

then there is LINK - DON'T PUT ANYTHING HERE
this is if you want to redirect this post to somewhere else or something.

then (at least on mine) the compose area looks much like my word processor, with little icons for fonts, size type, bold, ital, etc.

to put in a link HIT LINK & it does much like the dkos thing in comments.

to put in a picture HIT THE lil PICTURE just to the right of LINK.

everybody plz feel free to 'test run' & post an essay.

the only way you learn is by doing!!

(if y'all don't see any of this plz let me know!)

Anonymous said...

Not sure what your second comment means, dear Ria (I will have to play around with it later) but as for the first one:

gha! I hate it when the power goes down! After the first time (when I moved in with my elderly, now deceased, father some years ago) I bought a kerosene lantern & plenty of lamp oil. Candles just don't cut it in these situations: they help but aren't bright enough.

As for that storm... Before work yesterday, I went to weather.com. My "home page" there is the national weather map. At that time (about 24 hours ago) it showed a storm that reached from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, and was at least as wide across as Kansas.

You & I are experiencing the same storm today, lol.

P.S.: Thanks for indulging me in this post. It's pretty inane & I wouldn't blame you if you deleted it. (^.^)

Dreamer said...

youff-
in the compose area, just under the box TITLE is a box that says LINK: -don't use this box!

i'm not really sure how it works but it makes it so you can't open that post.

then. down below that is the big box with icons across the top.... the compose box.

there's two tabs on it COMPOSE & EDIT HTML.

you can use either one to compose your post in.

the "compose" tab is easier for most ppl to understand as it's based on word-processing. hold your mouse over each icon at the top to see what it does.

imo, it's easier to compose here than at dkos or soapblox sites.

ria (the dreamer)

Alma said...

Gha just took me forever to just get signed up. You must be a tech master compared to me Youff! :)

Glad they got the power back on Ria. Not a good night for it go go off with MrD starting work this morning. One Feb. we had a bad ice storm hit here and one of our tree limbs took out our electric, phone line, and cable with one blow. There were outages all over from main lines being down so we had to wait for 9 days for them to get to us. Michigan in Feb. is not warm. Luckily we got a generator, bought our first cell phone, and had lots of family time.

I think FSM would be proud Youff. The post is good.

RiaD said...

if anybody needs help maneuvering thru this place plz let me know.
i'll try to help & i don't mind being asked. really.

after a fairly good start....
i've had a horrible day.
mrD also had a horrible day.

so.
i'm heading to bed early.
surely tomorrow will be better.
i hope.

Alma said...

I found out something I didn't know today. Pernell Roberts that used to be on Bonanza and Trapper John was an activist. Unfortunatly I didn't find out until he died.

Pernell Roberts

Alma said...

I hope tomorrow is better for both you and MrD.

Pleasant dreams to you both.

newp said...

hola Youff! hola Ria! hola Alma! hope all is well and everyone's safe from the storms.

it's been raining daily here for weeks, but that's pretty much the norm for our winters. lots of tremors, and after Haiti it has the whole island on edge. for me, at least, gives me so much appreciation for even the most simple gifts of life.

RiaD said...

alma!
i had no idea trapper john was adam cartwright!!
& WoW! he left bonanza because of principles (& lack of decent storylines) very cool he was such an activist!
thank you for sharing that link.

RiaD said...

NEWP!!!!!
you're here! you're here!
gha! it's Great to 'see' you.

i was in caracas in '67 during that quake.
http://library.thinkquest.org/07aug/01004/countries%20affected/venezuela.html

i still get worried/edgy now...even when it's just big thunder.

we've had LOTS of rain. especially this past 2 months.....

Alma said...

Hi newp :) Good to see you here.

I don't think I'd like living with tremors all the time. Its scary! Do you usually get this many tremors or is it extra active this year?

newp said...

hey Alma, good seeing you again!

the tremors seem to have picked up, but we're in a very active zone anyways. it's just after the devastation so close by, we're all a bit jumpy. used to be that I'd just roll over and go back to sleep after a bump in the night, now... not so much...

take a look, we've had daily reports of quake activity - now I'm checking these just as I do with my hurricane maps. as Ria would say, ghaa!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

newp said...

wow, Ria, so glad you're still here with us. just horrible. I've lived thru a few bad hurricanes, but at least we know in advance. Hugo in '89 and Georges in '98 were the worst and both nightmares, but nothing to compare to how you must have felt as the earth shook. wow.

RiaD said...

newp..
my in-laws went thru hugo also!
after it went thru culebra & PR it came up & hit them in SC. they had just finished building their retirement home using most of their savings, building it themselves.
it damn near wiped them out!

we all are lucky in one way or another, no?

newp said...

yes we are, Ria.

my heart goes out to your in-laws, Hugo was truly a beast by the time he reached SC. he was only a cat 3 here (winds 130, gusts to 160), and we were still without lights and running water for almost 3 weeks. I'll never forget the sight of the island completely brown (no leaves left on any trees).

the first time I went to Culebra was in the days after it hit, bringing supplies and donations, the devastation there was much worse.

still here fighting and thankful for every day! yes, I'm very lucky, Ria.

Anonymous said...

hola, newp!

Great to "see" you here...sorry about the seismic activity -- no wonder you're all nervous, it seems like an earthquake in one area triggers them elsewhere, at least on the Pacific Rim anyway.

We had one here about a year ago: it was small, but I was awake & at my computer when it occurred & I definitely felt the jolt. If I'd been in NYC I probably would have thought a subway train passed underneath the building...but we don't have subways where I live.

Hope the earth settles down...

newp said...

(°>°) here's lookin' at you, Youff! I sure hope it settles down, too. grew up next to the EL in brooklyn & was kinda used to the house rattling around. now my heart skips a beat when it happens.