Thursday, February 11

open thoughts



link to video above
follow this link & click on "more info" (on the right) for lyrics

17 comments:

RiaD said...

please use this to express your thoughts. or to just chit-chat!

mplo said...

This video definitely depicts the world as a complex place filled with contradictions; So much beauty and yet so much ugliness, neither of which has any explanation.

mplo said...

Off the subject a bit;

R. I. P., McGee. I love you and you are sorely missed.

mplo said...

Hey RiaD!

I love your Pioneer Woman cooking link! Sounds like you've got some interesting recipes there.

I read your biography--really interesting. Thanks for posting and sharing it with us.

RiaD said...

mplo...
i love the pioneer woman too!
youffraita gave me that link & i visit there often.
Ree (the pioneer woman) just recently published a cookbook that is done like her website is, with detailed pictures of every step.
check out some of her other tabs too,
she has wonderful pictures of ranch life & her kids are adorable!

Alma said...

Hi mplo.

I'm sorry about McGee.

Our furry and feathered friends become our family and its so hard to lose them.

Mike L. said...

Hey Miki,

I too want to express my condolences on the loss of your pet.

I know that it must be difficult.

Mike L. said...

Ria,

thanks for the tip over in Orange.

I knew, of course, that something of a shit-storm might ensue, even tho there is nothing particularly controversial about my proposal.

Cheers!

RiaD said...

karma
you caught me!
i just wanted to show you some support but i hadn't done more than skimmed quickly thru your post & i just wasn't up to reading the comments.
sorry i don't know enough about it to add to the conversation.

and let me just say here i think it's really effing rude to hide rate someone's tip jar.
i don't care what they wrote you shouldn't oughta do that imnsfho.
if you don't like the post either leave! or say where you disagree.

& may i ask?
are you a very different person at dkos? do you put on some zombie monster costume & scoop up zombie snort before you go there? so many of those ppl seem to have such great animosity towards you. i just don't understand. you've always seemed very congenial & level headed to me.

Mike L. said...

Hi Ria,

It's hard for me to put my finger on it exactly.

I think that within Daily Kos I-P or, really, the left-liberal I-P community more generally, the prevailing ideology tends to be anti-Zionist and anti-Israel.

Many of them seem to have absorbed (unconsciously, perhaps) a general world-view that sees global capitalism, and thus the US, as the enemy of humanity.

They therefore see Israel as a colonial-imperialist outpost of western global imperialism in the ME.

In this way Israel becomes the enemy of all humanity and it must be fought. It's not that they oppose this or that particular Israeli policy or action, but oppose its very existence.

Because, as a Jewish person, given our history, I find myself willing to stand up for Israel, this makes me the enemy.

I do not think that I am particularly rude or anything like that... although I can, as you know, get snarky... but that I have a substantive disagreement with the very worldview that many of them have embraced viz-a-viz Israel.

In fact, I think many of them are entirely delusional because they allow their ideology to trump the actual history of the place and the conflict.

In other words, they filter the history and the current conflict through the lens of that ideology creating a heavily distorted, entirely one-sided, and malicious view of the Jewish state.

{It's depressing, actually.}

Alma said...

I have never seen an I/P diary at kos that didn't get ugly.

It used to seem about 50% pro Israel to 50% pro Palestinian. I tend to stay out of I/P diaries because of the vitreal, so maybe there has been a shift in percentage over the years. It was pretty much a banned topic for a few years.

mplo said...

Hi, Alma, Karmafish and Ria:

Thanks for your condolences on the loss of McGee.
Yes, it is painful to lose a pet, and I've definitely got my heart set on getting another bird, but it won't be for at least a couple of months. I need the time to mourn, to let McGee's passing sink in, and to do some research and pet-store visiting before I decide. I do know, however, that it may not be a Noble Macaw, as they're quite tough to come by, particularly nowadays. I'll see what happens. I know what I definitely don't want in the ways of a bird, so I go by the process of elimination.

RiaD said...

mplo
have you considered getting a rescued bird?
sometimes birds need adoptive homes just like dogs or cats do.

often these are birds who were either mistreated or their owner gave them up due to moving or death or they just didn't want them anymore.

i have a friend who can probably give me some info for you if you'd be interested in this avenue?

on posting here...
blogspot is wierd & is limited on contributors. at some point in the near future i hope to be moving to a 'real' site. get your posts all shined up.... i'd love for you to tell us about your silver work... or why you think birds are the coolest animals ever! any knowledge you have, any insight you may have of situations that you'd like to share, that would help others that find themselves or their loved ones in the same situation.... i'd really love to see posts along those lines.
we'll have some scheduled 'community' diaries also... much like the Question of the Day at MLW, and of course Open Thoughts....

sorry i didn't answer your e-mail.
i've had an extremely busy, exhausting day.

Anonymous said...

Ria, you have mail. But I might have the cheap new fan set up well enough to keep the place cold enough to keep this computer running till I get another one.

Alma, I stay the hell out of I/P diaries for exactly that reason: people get unhinged.

Miki, just condolences. I used to know someone who did bird rehabilitation...she and her husband were visiting NYC and brought along a blue jay that could never be released b/c although it could fly a bit, it couldn't fly well enough to go back in the wild. Very nice bird...until it, erm, "released" on somebody's business suit, LOL!

mplo said...

Hi, RiaD.

I have not considered getting a rescued bird, because I'm very much aware of the fact that many, if not most birds and other animals that end up in rescue places, shelters and pounds end up due to abuse, neglect, and other reasons. However, that's a different and much more complicated committment, and people who take in and adopt rescued pets of any kind inherit any kind of problem(s) that invariably resulted in them ending up in such places in the first place. One never knows where the animal has been and what else may be present, and it's much more risky to take in a rescued pet, from what I understand.

While I understand what you're saying, RiaD, this is a chance that I really do not wish to take. It's better to purchase a bird or other animal from a reputable pet store and/or breeder, imo.

mplo said...

Youffraita--Thank you very much for your heartfelt condolences.

mplo said...

Oh, by the way, RiaD, I'd love to post about my silversmithing work and why I think that exotic birds are the coolest pets ever, not to mention other stuff, too.

RiaD; I also should post my reasons for not wanting to get a rescued bird a bit more clearly and articulately. Animals who've been abused, neglected, etc, and who end up in rescue places, shelters, and pounds have often developed tremendous behavioural problems due to having gone through those sorts of trauma, and adopting and retraining an animal like that is a much tougher, more complicated commitment, and much riskier. It's a chance that I do not want to take, but thank you for offering to help me out.

btw, RiaD. I figured that you've been busy and wasn't able to answer my email.