here are some links i dug up this morning for another purpose entirely.
but.
it's all Great Info (which was why i spent several hours & dug it all up)
these are some of the articles i've read that led me to the conclusions i've drawn about monsanto, dow, & agribusiness in general.
& i just thought it should not go to waste.
so.
here you go.
ABOUT MONSANTO
Food Giant’s Power Tactics
Roundup Kills More Than Weeds
Monsanto-Funded Research Echoes Organic Center’s “Impacts of Genetically Engineered Crops on Pesticide Use” Report
Monsanto ”Seed Police” Scrutinize Farmers
Plowing for Profits
The Monsanto Machine
How Bad Is Monsanto?
ABOUT ORGANICS
Is Agribusiness Making Food Less Nutritious?
Industrial Farming is Giving us Less Nutritious Food
Genetically Modified Foods Pose Huge Health Risk
Are Chemicals Killing Us?
When more grain equals fewer nutrients
Organic Food Is All That, and More. Just Eat It.
ACTION ALERT:Genetically Modified Alfalfa Threatens Organic Agriculture
Local Food Movement Thrives Thanks to Entrepreneurship
HEALTHY PEOPLE, HEALTHY PLANET
How Do Your Eggs Stack Up?
Meet Real Free-Range Eggs
The Amazing Benefits of Grass-fed Meat
The Ecology of Pizza(Or Why Organic Food is a Bargain)























14 comments:
i hope someone finds these useful
♥~
I don't know where to even start. I have a personal animus against Monsanto.
There was a Monsanto plant about a mile to a mile and a half from where I live on the cusp where the Detroit River runs into Lake Eire. They were always dumping chemicals into the pond which goes into the river. I've known several people that lost their jobs for turning them in over the years.
The fish were poisoned and dangerous to eat for a long time. I think they caused the high incidents of ADD in my community. Monsanto, not the fish. When my kids were growing up we had the highest percentage in the country of ADD. We also had high percentages of childhood cancers, kidney disease and birth defects.
Monsanto also almost ruined an important ecological environment that has recently been saved. What used to be Monsanto is now Solutia. (You might want to right click and open in new window for the links) This link shows how the previously Monsanto land abuts the refuge. The top photo is the "pond" where they used to dump.
Pond pic and map layout
What they almost destroyed is amazing And very peaceful
wow!
i'd guess you would.
& i'm just amazed how the community came together & got the wetlands restored.
who is this Solutia? & DTE energy?
are they responsible corporations or just a little better than monsanto?
my bitch about monsanto is that their products poison the land & the water. they pay for 'scientific' studies to be done then publish the results. they're all about ever increasing profits & not looking to the future of our planet....
& gha! if something kills weeds why would anyone think it wouldn't harm them?????
The DTE Trenton Channel plant is a coal burning energy plant, so dirty there too, but at least not dumping assorted chemicals directly into the lake.
I don't know much about Solutia, but can check with my hubby when he gets home. I don't think they are dumping in the pond but I do think they are toxic. Before hubby became disabled he had worked in there a time or two. He had also worked in Monsanto and DTE. Pipefitters really get around to all the plants.
Hubbys been in refinery explosions too, so was my dad. Dad ruptured his spleen in the explosion. The refinery went up and dad turned to run and tripped over a trash can. Then he drove home in shock. It took 3 days before they figured out where he was bleeding internally. It was a wild day. Mom had her washer and dryer upstairs and the washer had overflown and filled up the drop ceiling tiles in the room below it. We were trying to get the tiles down and clean that up when dad walked in. Its one day I'll never forget. It was also my brothers birthday and the day before my hubbys. My FIL was in the hospital with colon cancer and I had just started to realize I was pregnant with my girl.
In some of the pictures at the links the top part of the island I live on is visible. Another eighth to quarter of a mile in the pics and I could have shown you my house. :)
Hubby says Solutia wasn't any better than Monsanto. He said they got caught several times dumping in the pond and in the sewers while he was working in there. So I guess I'm really glad they tore down the water side of the plant. The other side was supposed to already be closed by now, but still isn't shut down. Solutia is moving the plant down south somewhere. Hope its not in your area Ria.
Oh, hell, ignore me, alma & ria.
I'm just annoyed. Almost had a (granted it was silly) diary posted in Orange & it wouldn't post.
I've been spending too much time at Soapblox: forgot I can't embed from Cheezburger onto Scoop.
Even the Orange people indulge me in silly diaries...it is VERY annoying when a stupid html error prevents the whole thing from posting.
Ria, I wish I had your computer smarts.
((((((((Youff))))))))
Like we would just ignore you, silly woman. I think we've all had that happen in some form and remember how frustrating it can be. It's good to have friends you can rant with. Besides, next time it happens to me, I know who to go to. ;)
O youff!
poor you....
i wish i knew how to help you
:-(
Ria thank you for doing all this work and all the comments are so interesting.
I have to add more tomorrow.
What a wonderful family we have growing here. I love you all!
interesting.
i was just thinking today you grow a blog much like you grow a garden.
& yeah, it is quite a wonderful crop of folks. i'm very very pleased!
Alma, you are SUCH a dear, So is Kathleen & so is RiaD.
Ria, I will have to check out those links after I replace my fan. Yes, I live in a warm, cozy apt...and my computer tends to overheat & crash. Even with two windows open and sub-25-degree weather here.
The good news is, I'm going to buy a (used) computer from a friend as soon as i get my tax refund: add efiling to my to-do list for tomorrow ;-D
Youffraita I am excited for you to have a new computer!
I live in Washington State the state where Handford Nuke is. Right now billons of your tax dollars are attempting to clean up the Nuke waste that is leaching into the ground and into the Columbia river. This is major river where salmon begin their 1000 mile journey to Red Fish Lake Idaho to spawn.
When Obama announced he was going to look into more Nuke power and clean coal (sic no such thing) my heart sunk. You would think we would be going the other direction.
Yay Youff!
Hi Kathleen. I didn't know about the leaching at the Handford nuke plant. Sounds like another environmental, and public horror.
I loved the anti clean coal commercials that were out for awhile. The black aerosol one was my favorite. Funny how companies and pols name things with clean or environmental names and get away with fooling so many people. Its sickening.
Hello, Kathleen.
It's miki aka mplo aka independentminded here. Sorry to hear about the leaching at the Handford Nuke plant. It's dangerous to have something like that so close. Here's hoping that things get cleaned up, that plant is forced to close and things improve. Sorry to rain in a little bit of pessimism here, but I knew that Obama was going to pull the "clean coal" business, well before he got elected into office.
Anyway, back to more positive stuff-good luck, Kathleen.
Those vegetables look delicious and succulent, btw.
Post a Comment