Mostly, I am not too fond of the food around here. Even the pot pie (bott or bot boi) is basically just chicken & noodles in broth with lots of potatoes.
BUT.
There is one exciting spice that is grown locally: saffron.
Our bott boi is yellow...from saffron. Unlike most American pot pie, which has a pastry crust, PA Dutch pot pie is just squares of pasta in a chicken soup type recipe.
But oh, that saffron.
I used the last of mine tonight. I didn't have carrots or celery, but had onions & a bag of frozen peas...a bunch of chicken thighs (on sale for 88 cents/lb.), a bag of fusilli, some milk & flour, and some homemade chicken broth in the freezer.
So I faked it: baked the thighs & removed the meat from the bones. Added it into a dutch oven with two bags of frozen chicken stock, the fusilli & a couple of onions. And a bunch of crumbled-up saffron threads and freshly ground black pepper. Cooked the peas separately, then made gravy with milk & flour; stirred that in; and added the cooked, drained peas.
When the gravy was thick, the dish was done. It's bright yellow & tastes of saffron & pepper.
And it's dinner for the next few days at work.
I can offer a more authentic recipe if anybody wants one: but this is one of those dishes that is extremely amenable to "what's in your pantry" cooking.
You could substitute turmeric for the saffron. For example.
But if you have saffron threads, go for it! And if you don't, come see me: I will direct you to the farm where I buy mine.
Tuesday, February 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















10 comments:
Ria, how do you do a jump? I meant to, here, and just didn't see anything helpful.
Well, you already know that I am software-challenged. (^.^)
ahhhh! saffron!
it's soooo expensive here. i can't ever get it because i just can't justify $12-15 for a few tiny threads.
i'm guessing fusilli is some type of pasta? i can't get all those exotic pastas here. we have spaghettis, elbow macaronis, egg noodles & lasagna noodles. every now & then i can find birds nests & i'll make clam sauce to go with them.
i found the 'jump' at the far right corner of the ummm... post generator box(?- i dunno what you call that thing) it's on the "compose" tab & looks like a page torn in half horizontally.
i love this post youff. i like learning what others cook & i often try to make recipes like these that just sound so delicious.
but... you don't put this in a pie crust? so what do you do, just dish it up in soup bowls? (i'm sorry if that sounds dumb)
Not dumb, Ria. Mine is thick enough to eat on a plate, but yeah, the more traditional version would be soup-bowl brothy: not like soup but more like stew.
Fusilli are the corkscrew-shaped pasta, also known as rotini.
Saffron IS expensive...but it's a lot cheaper here b/c so much is locally grown. Turns out the typical weather here is what saffron likes: rainy fall, winter, spring, and hot & dry summer. Saffron's an autumn crocus & the threads in the flower are the threads we pay for, so: very labor-intensive.
But the Amish & Mennonite farmers around here have lots of kids to help...
I would send you some, but I don't know when I can get back to the farm to buy more: I need a friend with a car and a desire for saffron, lol, to get there myself. Will see what I can do after tax refund comes in, okay?
Oh, and thanks: glad you enjoyed this. Almost the same recipe could be chicken & dumplings: skip the noodles & saffron & mince fresh tarragon for the dumplings & maybe the chicken stew.
If you're interested, I will send you links to real recipes. But honestly, it's like beef stew: you just substitute stuff & alter it to fit your taste buds, no "right" or "wrong" way of doing these things, just variations you like or don't like.
You sure are lucky about your area and saffron Youff. Me and the daughter needed it for a recipe once. Had to go to a few stores before we found any and like Rias area it was really expensive. I would dare to say its the most expensive herb I've ever bought.
The recipe sounds yummy Youff! :)
Lol: it's snowing here. When I was in the middle of cooking (i.e. removing chicken from bones) I gave some to King Tut, my fire escape kitty, but he just wanted to go out.
About an hour ago, when I noticed the snow, I looked for him to come in...and just now he did, he was sitting on the windowsill, a bit wet & hungry & ready to come back inside. What a cutie. Which reminds me, Ria: You really should use those pics you emailed me for a post here. I'll bet I'm not the only one who will go aaaahhh.
Alma, it is way more expensive than gold. It may even be more expensive than white truffles imported from Italy.
It's not that cheap here, either. I think the last time I bought it, I got 7 grains for about $10. I'm not sure what "grains" translates into: it was about half of a small prescription-bottle type container.
It lasted me for more than two years, but I don't use it that much. I was afraid it would go stale, so decided to finish it off...but I think it would have kept for at least another six months.
Come on up to Lancaster! I'll take you to the farm where I bought it! Not sure this was such a good year for saffron, but it's still going to be cheaper from the farmers than imported from Spain.
i may post the pics in your next pony....!
um.
i know this isn't really the place for this announcement.....
but.
i just figured out how to make the blogroll, resource list & free clicks open in a new tab!!
so now you can go down the list of free clicks & not have to back button to get back to firefly...
w00t!w00t!w00t!
Yay Ria! That will make it a lot easier. :)
I was thinking about that earlier. Wondering how to do it.
Do you think it would work here on the comments part too? Cause when I hit a link in comments without clicking for it to open in a new window it opens in this little window and I haven't found a back button on it.
I think when I bought the saffron that once it was about $13. There were only a few little pieces wrapped in white paper and sealed in a spice bottle. I figured they wrapped it in the paper not only for keeping it together but also so you couldn't see what a little bit was in there.
I thought I might get to visit you a few months ago Youff. My hubby had bought a 50-75lb wooden box full of furniture planes and accesories on ebay that said pick up only. It was in Penn, and my first thought was you. The guy ended up shipping them to us though.
alma-
i looked but could not figure out how to make it work in comments
:(
Thanks for trying Ria. I'll just have to remember to open in new window, and if I don't its no big deal to x-off and come back.
Post a Comment